Doing Any DIY Projects This Season?
- Decks & Patios
- Trees of Shrubs
- Swing Sets
- Mailbox Posts
- Room Additions
- Swimming Pools
Know What’s Below Before You Dig!
Even Hand digging can cause damage. Over 25% of damage is from homeowners.
Become part of the solution!
- Your family
- Your Community
It’s the LAW! It’s fast and it’s FREE!!!
What do you mean FREE?
When you contact MISS DIG 811, the public facility companies are notified to mark the location of their underground lines.
Public facilities are marked for FREE by facility company representatives known as Locators. The Locators paint lines and/or place flags to mark the approximate location of underground public lines.
TO PLACE A DIG NOTICE
- Visit elocate.missdig811.org
- In the e-Locate box click Start.
- Complete the e-Locate Request.
- Check your status before you dig @status.missdig811.org
- Enter your ticket #. Click Inquire.
Those painted lines usually run from the main facility to the meter on your house.
Not everything gets marked when you call. Private facility lines are NOT marked.
The unmarked private lines usually run from the house to any other building or object with service in your yard, like a garage or lamp post. A private locator may be hired to mark them.
And often, water and sewer lines are only marked in the right-of-way not all the way to the meter on the house.
It’s the LAW?
Yes, a bill was signed by Gov. Rick Snyder and has been in effect since April 1, 2014. Be smart and contact MISS DIG 811 before you dig.
Why so many flags? What do they mean? Can I remove them?
Do NOT remove the flags until the work is completed or after 21 days.
- White – Area of Proposed Excavation
- Pink – Temporary Survey Markings
- Red – Electric
- Yellow – Gas, Oil, Steam, Propane
- Orange – Phone and Cable
- Blue – Water
- Purple – Reclaimed water, irrigation
- Green – Sewer
- Gray – Used to Erase Marks
5 Steps to Safe Digging
- Call MISS DIG 811 at 811 or go online to elocate.missdig811.org
- Wait for utilities to be marked
- Check status @ status.missdig811.org
- Respect the marks
- Dig with care